Bobbie Coughlin joins us from her three and half week RV vacation. She shares why she loves hitting the open road and how she handles it on a gluten-free diet. Elizabeth helps listener Allison Cokeley convert her grandmother’s pancake recipe to gluten-free. And Cassandra Kidder Smith, from Delightfully Gluten-Free, shares her story and tells us how her family is coping with her son’s multiple food allergy diagnosis. Plus, Elizabeth shares a recipe for an easy orange and vanilla smoothie.
On this week’s show…
We talk to Sarah Norris about dining with food allergies while at the Walt Disney World Resort, Donna Currie joins us to talk about the KitchenAid Ice Cream Bowl attachment, and Erin Smith, from Gluten-Free Globetrotter, tells us how she became a gluten-free globetrotter after living gluten-free for 30 years. Plus, Elizabeth shares a recipe for corn, tomato, and avocado salad.
This week’s show…
We talk to Suzanne Mangini about eating gluten-free in Las Vegas, Staci Baker joins us to talk about healthy frozen pops, and Sarah Nielsen, from Celiac in the City, shares the story of her celiac diagnosis and gives us her “top three” restaurants in Milwaukee. Plus, Elizabeth shares a 30 minute recipe for oven roasted vegetable pasta.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces or 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
- 16 ounces gluten-free, traditional or whole-wheat penne pasta
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, more to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F;. In large bowl, toss zucchini, pepper, and onion together with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine. Transfer vegetables to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes. After ten minutes, toss vegetables. This ensures they brown evenly. Remove and set aside.
- While the vegetables are roasting: Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, and remaining olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a large (5½ quart) pot with water. Bring to boil. Salt generously. Cook pasta until tender. Reserve one cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add roasted vegetables and tomato basil mixture. Toss. Add feta. Adjust salt and pepper. If sauce seems too thick, add a splash of reserved cooking liquid.