30 Minute Roasted Vegetable Pasta
Author: Elizabeth Barbone
Recipe type: Main Course
This pasta is perfect for summer. If you don’t feel like using the oven, you can grill the vegetables. Just be sure to cut the vegetables large enough for grilling and use a pan on your grill.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces or 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
- 16 ounces gluten-free, traditional or whole-wheat penne pasta
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese, more to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F;. In large bowl, toss zucchini, pepper, and onion together with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to combine. Transfer vegetables to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes. After ten minutes, toss vegetables. This ensures they brown evenly. Remove and set aside.
- While the vegetables are roasting: Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, and remaining olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill a large (5½ quart) pot with water. Bring to boil. Salt generously. Cook pasta until tender. Reserve one cup pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add roasted vegetables and tomato basil mixture. Toss. Add feta. Adjust salt and pepper. If sauce seems too thick, add a splash of reserved cooking liquid.